xorg.conf and bpp -- Config is broken

Robert Tilley tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 5 02:15:56 UTC 2007

Thanks for the advice and now a further question.

I added a Display subsection under the Screen section.  The depth is 32 and
the mode is 1280x1024.  The default depth for the screen was 16.  This is
where the problem begins.

I changed the default of 16 to 32 and restarted X.  X would not restart.
After rebooting into recovery mode (console) and changing the default depth
to 24, X would start with no difficulty.  Both the 16, 24, and 32 depths have
a mode entry of 1280x1024.

I want to see 32-bit depth, but apparently X or my video card can't handle it.
I am running on a Dell Dimension 2350 with an Intel 82845G (i810) video card.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Bob