No more /home after botched Fedora install

Serg B. sergicles at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:40:22 UTC 2007

First however, unmount the home partition or turn the machine off all
together to avoid overriding any data on the disk.

Second, waht file system are you using?

Also, depending on what file system the /home partition is using,
recovery could be possible. However if you are using ext3 then cut
your losses and move on - been there, done that. All articles on ext3
recovery seem to say that it can not be done if you have deleted the
data (not crash, deleted) due to the way ext3 deletes files.

:(

  Serg

On 30/07/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Ubuntu I have had a corruption of my /home partition, which resides
> on sda4 of my Dell Inspiron laptop. Not knowing what to do, and with
> no way to boot and google the situation, I played Y, Y, Y to all
> fsck's questions. Now, /home is empty. I do have a backup from 4 weeks
> ago, as I backup the first of every month, but I have done quite a bit
> of work this past month. I'm very interested in recovering the data.
>
> More info: This is a Dell Inspiron machine, 2.0GHz dual-core Intel
> processor, 2GB RAM, 80GB 7000RPM hard drive, ATI X1400 video. The disk
> is partitioned with sda1: 15GB /; sda2: 15 GB blank (Fedora was to go
> here) ; sda3: 3GB swap ; sda4: ~47 GB /home. I set these partitions a
> few months ago when I last installed Ubuntu. I had begun install of
> Fedora 7 when the machine crashed- I didn't get to the real install
> part. Upon rebooting (into Ubuntu), it complained something about
> inodes. I gave it the root password (yes, I had previously set a root
> password) and ran fsck (or something else resembling a rather
> unacceptable work, appropriate name by the way). A few Y, Y, Y's later
> I could boot the system. However, as soon as I logged into KDE I was
> returned to the login screen. I CTRL-ALT-F4ed into a terminal and
> logged in as root. I then cd'ed into /home, and ls showed that there
> was nothing there. I immediately ran shutdown -h and now that I'm home
> I'm writing from the wife's desktop.
>
> Any help in recovering the /home/user directory, or even specific
> files therein, would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://lyricslist.com/
> http://what-is-what.com/

Serg