VMware on Feisty and HP nc8230

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 21:31:37 UTC 2007

On 7/27/07, Rick Knight <rick_knight at rlknight.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I need some help with Feisty and VMware. I have an HP nc8230 notebook
> that I've installed Feisty 7.04 on. This was a clean install on a
> formatted drive, not an upgrade. Before Feisty I had Dapper 6.06 and
> also Dapper's predecessor 5.04 (I think). When I installed Feisty,
> Feisty decided my hdd is SATA. Prior versions have always detected it as
> IDE. Not a problem as everything seems to work. Except VMware. I want to
> use my WinXP partition as a VMware image, but VMware does not support a
> physical partiton as an image on a SATA drive.
>
> My questions are, why did Feisty decide to treat my drive as SATA, and
> (how) can I get Feisty to see it as IDE?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rick

First off, it is okay that Feisty is treating your hdd as SATA.  This
is now becoming the standard labelling for drives (even if they are
really IDE) because IDE is a fading technology. As far as VMWare goes,
I do not have much experience.  Perhaps you should try to google
around a bit.  Last time I tried to use VMWare, though, I had to boot
into Windows and use the "VMWare Converter" program to convert the
Windows XP partition into an image.  Oh, you could also try out
Virtualbox; I have heard some good things about it.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2