Merging kmail files?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Fri Jul 27 15:38:54 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 08:36:04 Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:
> > The problem is, I have email on my desktop computer that I need to get
> > to; but I also still have email on my laptop computer that I need to
> > keep.  Is there a way I can merge the kmail files from both computers so
> > that I can get to all of them?
>
> Probably.  First, find the directories that kmail is storing all its
> mail in on both computers and BACK THEM UP.  You want to be able to
> restore these directories when you screw things up.
>
> Now, if the folders on the different computers have different names,
> you ought to be able to copy them from one to the other and restart
> kmail.
>
> If your mailboxes are in maildir format I think you ought to be able
> to merge the two directories.  If in mbox format you ought to be able
> to append one file to another.
>
> One thing to remember is that you can always open a mailbox with vi or
> emacs and edit it, or just look at it to try to understand what is
> going on.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Michael

Thanks, Michael.  I actually discovered that I could import the files, and
that the import would work just fine over the Fish protocol.  Since I can
reach the desktop computer through SSH, this worked just fine for me.  Now
I'm going through and eliminating duplicates... which for some reason the
import process did not do.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie