Kubuntu Amd64

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 16:09:04 BST 2007

On 7/24/07, Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:13:53 +0200
> Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > A 64 bit system WILL run 32 bit software. You just need to set it up right
> > to do it. I use Automatix to do this for me and have no problems.
> > The trick is that a 32 bit package needs all its bits and pieces to be 32
> > bit also, IE libs and such. You can run a 32 bit program and a 64 bit one at
> > the same time.
> > http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation
> > Douglas
> >
> > On 7/24/07, Naja Melan <najamelan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> Well, now I am more confused than ever. I started this thread hoping
> for a clear answer to, is it safe/sensible to try Feisty 64 bit or not?
> The answers have certainly been mixed.

> Now what do I do??

Depends on what you want.  I have all media I know of working in 64
bit Feisty and I'm reasonably happy.  Of course, I enjoy the
occasional challenge of getting, say, flash working.

Do you want to have a brain dead easy install and never have to think
about it?  The 32 bit is a better bet (or a Mac ;-).  Do you want to
sometimes have to work a little harder but still be able to do
everything (except, evidently, use acroread)?  Then Feisty 64 will
work well.

Michael