Kubuntu Amd64 again - change of mind

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Wed Jul 25 15:02:07 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 07:24:34 FX Fraipont wrote:
> One last post on the subject of amd64 and Kubuntu (I was the imprudent
> poster who almost started a civil war yesterday by daring to suggest
> that acroread, which doesn't do 64bits, is indispensable for some).
>
> 1. I've been running Kubuntu 64 for about ayear and there are of course
> no stability issues with it. I never said anything like  that.
>
> 2. There is absolutely no problem with Automatix2 and it greatly
> simplifies the installation of firefox32 and the flash / java plugin
>
> 3. Acroread is a different bird altogether, and Automatix2 never managed
> to make it work for me. However, despite the fact that I said a couple
> of days ago that it was indispensable because the alternatives  did not
> allow you to print or search, a poster (I forgot who) said taht kpdf
> allowed you to search and print.
>
> And he was right! and saved me from reinstalling 32, since it was my
> main problem (I do tarnslation work, when you look up terminology on
> google, you often come across  pdf's that you need to search). I had to
> save the pdf, and then launch kpdf. Not entirely practical. I never
> realized you could call kpdf from firefox directly (saves me one
> operation) and that Kpdf allowed you to search and save (I guess I was
> talking about ghostscript).
>
> fx

Well I'm glad that you got that sorted out.  I find that kpdf is quicker and
more practical for most uses.  The only functionality I have found that
acroread has that kpdf doesn't is that acroread let's you edit forms and
keep "protected" documents.  Other than that I've never really seen a
benefit... unless you like their little adware Yahoo Toolbar advert.  Then I
suppose that's two features.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.