fstab

Trevor tpankonien at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:51:38 BST 2007

Ralph Alvy wrote:
> Is it possible to change the way Kubuntu treats fstab? Here are my concerns:
>
> 1. I don't like that Kubuntu attempts to fsck every visible patition on
> bootup. I only want it to fsck the root partition. I do not have separate
> partitions for various aspects of this installation, like usr or home,
> etc., but I find Kubuntu also wants to fsck my fat partitions, etc., on
> bootup. I'd like to stop that.
>
> 2. I simply can't stand Kubuntu's rewriting of my fstab on bootup,
> dynamically creating labelled entries. I want total control over fstab,
> using traditional entries like /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, etc., along with my
> own hard-coded mount points.

1. Change the sixth field to a 0, this will set it to ignore the partion
for fsck..."man fstab" for more info.

2.  Looking at my fstab file it looks like the traditional /dev/hda1 can
be used, an example below shows one entry from my fstab that is used for
my vmware partition...worse case scenario, make a backup of fstab and
try pointing it to the more readable /dev entries.  Let us know if it
works, if not; use a recovery disk and replace the modified fstab with
the backup you made

/dev/sda4 /data ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Hope that helps.

Trevor