Merging kmail files?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jul 24 17:46:13 UTC 2007

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I currently have two computers that I've used pretty heavily over the past
> couple of years.  My desktop computer, however, has gotten to the point
> where
> KDE no longer starts up.  I've tried renaming the .kde directory in the
> hopes that I could get it going again, but that didn't work; something
> deep inside KDE is hosed.
>
> For now, I'm using my laptop exclusively.  I can still reach my desktop
> computer's hard drive through SSH, so all my old files are still
> accessible.
>
> The problem is, I have email on my desktop computer that I need to get to;
> but
> I also still have email on my laptop computer that I need to keep.  Is
> there a way I can merge the kmail files from both computers so that I can
> get to all of them?

The mail is in one of two formats - mbox, where everything is in one file,
or maildir (of course, they could also be on an IMAP server, and not local
at all).

In either case, just copy the files from ~/Mail/ to your working system, and
use the appropriate File > Import option to import them.
--
derek