Kubuntu Amd64

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Tue Jul 24 16:03:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 10:41:09 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:13:53 +0200
>
> Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A 64 bit system WILL run 32 bit software. You just need to set it up
> > right to do it. I use Automatix to do this for me and have no problems.
> > The trick is that a 32 bit package needs all its bits and pieces to be 32
> > bit also, IE libs and such. You can run a 32 bit program and a 64 bit one
> > at the same time.
> > http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation
> > Douglas
> >
> > On 7/24/07, Naja Melan <najamelan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, now I am more confused than ever. I started this thread hoping
> for a clear answer to, is it safe/sensible to try Feisty 64 bit or not?
> The answers have certainly been mixed.
>
> My computer does have an AMD64 processor. At the moment I am running
> Edgy 32 bit and I have never had any problems that have had anything to
> do with the mix of 64 bit processor and 32 bit distro.
>
> Now what do I do??
>
> Neil Winchurst

What you do is totally your call.  It is perfectly safe and sensible to run
amd64 Kubuntu.  Most of the people who tell you differently are tied to
non-free software that only appears in 32-bit form, who have thus far not
been clever enough to make them work together.  It's really not hard, as most
of these instructions exist on wiki.ubuntu.com.

As for what you do, things DO work--and work well--on amd64.  You will have a
little more trouble with software that only comes in 32-bit until you get a
working 32-bit environment running (also on the wiki, look for firefox32 on
the wiki for a pretty good tutorial), but all-in-all it's pretty easy.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.