Kubuntu Amd64

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Tue Jul 24 04:08:29 UTC 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007 15:33:34 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I see that Feisty is available as a version for AMD64 bit. Has anyone
> any experience with this please? Any advice gratefully received.
>
> Neil Winchurst

I've been using amd64 builds of Kubuntu for some time now.  They work fine for
me.  The only trouble you have is with non-free garbage, and that's easily
worked out with the ia32-libs package.  I've got Firefox installed in both a
64 and 32-bit version, so I can run Flash and Java plugins for Firefox32.
I've never used Acroread (with kpdf, I see no point in running such filth),
so I can't speak to that.

Wine may be tricky too, but once again I wouldn't know.

If you're still a slave to proprietary software, you'll most likely have
trouble with amd64 GNU/Linux of any flavor.  Most vendors of proprietary
software do not accommodate amd64 users, and the lack of support there is not
the fault of Kubuntu or any other Free Software project or distribution.

I highly recommend amd64 Kubuntu.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.