Vodafone pc card. Please help!

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 02:45:24 UTC 2007

On Saturday 21 July 2007 04:20:55 pm Mario Gianni wrote:

> Howard
>
> 1st of all let me say thanks for your help. I apologize for any mistake I
> did replying the Jordi's mail but I am not confident with this kind of
> mailing lists. Generally the reply is on the top and if you want to follow
> the thread you start from the bottom.

Nope, not a real problem.  Just a suggestion, considering you are new, most
folks would just work with you anyway.  I just thought I'd throw that tip in
their for good measure.

> Also I am using my Nokia E61 to write these mails because my XP suddenly
> stop to work. Hence it's not really easy to follow a format and wasn't easy
> to catch the Jordi's mail. I had the 3g card configured in Windows but I am
> moving to Kubuntu and need to get it working. I generally go to forums
> before to ask to the mailing list but I couldn't connect to Internet via a
> regular browser.

That's XP for ya.

> Having said that I have followed the instructions. I think I am close to
> get everything fine. But I need the final bit.
>
> I have created the files and I get connected (I see the IP Addr from
> Vodafone when I issue "sudo wvdial hsdpa"). But when I open the browser and
> put any web site I can't get the page. I tried to make some ping through a
> konsole and it seems to work. DNS correctly translates the www link into an
> IP and get a reply.
>
> Is there any config I need to do to have the browser working? I have tried
> also the route commands but I get an error after both (don'r recall the
> error now but if you need I can redo it). In any case I don't think this is
> the issue since the ping works. So routes should be ok.

Ok, well, if you're getting an IP address then we need to find out what
devices you have, and what errors you're getting.

1st, from a command shell (konsole)
Enter the following:

sudo su -

Then enter your password.
This will get you a "root" shell, so we don't have to keep typing "sudo" at
the front of every line.
Now, type:

ifconfig

then copy the output and paste it in a reply.
[ your output will look like the following with devices like "eth0, epp0, etc.
and one labeled "lo":

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:###.###.###.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: xx##::xx##:d2ff:fe#x:####/## Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:6694936 (6.3 MiB)  TX bytes:1308557 (1.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0xa000 Memory:ecfff000-ecffffff

Note I have masked out my real IP address and HWaddr, but you should have
numbers and letters in both.   My device ID is eth1 as you can see at the top
left of this section.
]
Then type

route

and copy the output.  (its OK to mask out HWaddr and exact or real IP address
numbers, and even recommended this is a public list.)

Send that info to the list (again with real HWaddr and IP address masked for
each device) and we'll go from there.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.