Kill command

Robin Taylor cyclbatrob at uk2.net
Thu Jul 19 20:25:13 UTC 2007

Firstly, in KDE there's the performance monitor, which is a GUI implementation
behaving similar to windows task manager. From there you can kill programs
(look for thunderbird or thunderbird-bin)

Secondly, if you want to do it on the command line:
ps -a | grep thunderbird
(the | being a pipe, not an L or i)
will give you the line, choose the process ID from there, the | being a pipe,
not an L or i.

Then type
kill -15 <process id>
this will allow the process to shut itself down and is the preffered option, should this not
work use
kill -9 <process id>
this is a hard kill and will always stop the process.

Rob