Dell Laptop question

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Thu Jul 19 14:22:23 UTC 2007

Ted Frater wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> I was interested in buying one of those Dell/Ubuntu laptops but they are not yet
>> available here in Israel.
>>
>> BUT, I found a retailer that sells all their laptops without an installed OS - if
>> I want! :-)
>> So what, of the cheaper range, models would you recommend? What are the Turion
>> processors like as opposed to the Intel core duo? I did have a quick Google but
>> their is way too much info out there to digest easily/quickly.
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> Dell have a consumer range and their business range.
>   The former  is Inspiron the latter is the Latitude.
>   If your going to use it for business do purchase 3 yr on site next
> business working day warranty.
>  Essential.
> As for build  quality , IBM lenovo are still the best.
> whats just as important tho is where the nearest service depot is. Talk
> to them first to see what support your going to get
> you need a laptop that has an installed base of 1000's. there will be
> more spares for those around than say the latest  high flying model
> I personally always go for a second hand ex corporate leasing laptop.
>  If its survived 3  yearsof leasing it will have has a good burn in.
>  Never failed me.
>  And I supply laptops to friends.
>  Only IBM tho.
>  hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I just looked at the Thinkpad line-up and they all seem to
have the new Core2 duo processors - of which there is a serious warning:
"At this time, I cannot recommend purchase of any machines based on the
Intel Core 2 until these issues are dealt with (which I suspect will
take more than a year). Intel must be come more transparent."

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631

I don't think that there is a second hand ex corporate leasing option here in
Israel - it's a very small country.

I was considering the Inspiron 1501 but am not sure about the Turion 64 X2 TL50
and the ATI Mobility™ Radeon® Xpress 1150 - how does Kubuntu manage with these?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries