Why are packages being held back

Greg Booth bootgr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:52:17 UTC 2007

>  Dear Doug,
>
>  There are times I wish I weren't so stupid, however, your response is
> gratefully appreciated.  Many times I don't get answers to questions I
> really want the answers to because I am sure they seem so naive, however,
> after posting and too late to change, I realized your question was different
> from what I thought.
>
>  I am afraid if I get too goosey about when I am willing to try to help, I
> will get lost in the never knowing category, and therefore never
> contributing.  I thought you were new like me.  I thought perhaps I could
> stop some fears you might have for installing from such a vast library of
> wonderful applications, and just wanted to give you confidence.
>
>  Even though I may not live long enough to learn what I need to know about
> LINUX, I can see that it is light-years better than Microsoft Windows.  As
> far as being a Kubuntu/Linux Evangelist, maybe.  Most of the Microsoft users
> don't even realize that it is Microsoft who is inferior; many have had fear
> of inability to adapt to a new system of operating keep them from
> considering the change.  And if the mental-midget that I am can get as far
> as I have in a month, anyone else could do better, so maybe Microsoft has
> something to fear from the new Kubuntians or Linuxians, or whatever we are.
>
>  In any event, anytime you want to criticize my postings, I welcome it.  I
> can learn more from you that I can no response.  I really mean that, my
> friend.
>
>  Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired

Honestly I don't WANT everyone converting from windows. Windows users
are a bunch of people that don't want to put the time and effort into
figuring out how to get something to work. They want to pay some guy
to put it on an app on a disk so all they have to do is put it in the
computer and click Yes a bunch of times.

They're unwilling to take the time to read descriptions of packages in
Aptitude, they're unwilling to go to Google and type in a few easy
search phrases to figure out how to get something new to work. They're
lazy, and I'd refuse to help someone that posted to this email listing
with the phrase "wear do I getz phat warez!" or "puter broke, help me
plz"

So leave Windows to the mindless masses, and give me the few
intelligent people that realize what's happening in the world of
computing and are willing to be a part of the solution, not the
problem.

Greg Booth