Firefox to use Kaffeine or get totem to work

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Tue Jul 17 16:16:43 UTC 2007

>> I would actually download real player for Linux. I have used it before, and
>> it works pretty well.
>
> I'd happily use the real player.
>
> I've downloaded and installed it (before I sent my first message). Firefox
> wants to use totem, and I can't find any way to change its mind - even on a
> one-shot basis.

I would suggest mplayerplug-in
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=mozilla-mplayer&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all)
It is at multiverse repository.

You have to remove manually other (e.g. Totem's) plugins from Firefox plugins directory -
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/

You may create separate folder and temporarly remove those files or symlinks to another folder and
all the time you can check from Firefox (about:plugins - type it onto address bar and press F5 or
click refresh to see result after you change plugins folder contents), what plugins it have. In
addition of multimedia format support, see also, what plugin it uses. If it's mplayerplug-in, what
offers that format support - then it's OK.

MPlayer and its codecs can play almost everything, what can be produced (including Real Media
formats). I suggest to use EasyUbuntu to install MPlayer's w32codec pack. It can be also downloaded
from MPlayer server and after unpacking to copy /usr/lib/codecs/ folder and create also symlink with
name /usr/lib/win32/, because different programs are using different paths.
After that you have to restart mplayer if it has been restarted before plugins installation.

Best Regards,
Edmund