Why are packages being held back

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 00:24:53 UTC 2007

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> When doing apt-get upgrade I get the message:
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   hal istanbul
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
>
> Why is this happening?  Are these possibly broken packages or something?
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug P

I too am new to Kubuntu and Linux, but no, nothing is wrong, in fact
just the opposite.  The really great news is that the upgrades are
probably just that, not fixes, just improvements.  When you take the
money out of the equation, it allows for better products and results.
You are being notified of things your computer needs that will make it
even better.

In Microsoft, it is usual a repair patch to solve a problem that should
have been fixed prior to release.  In LINUX, the programs are stable and
don't need fixes, unless they are beta.  That means that they will tell
you if the bugs haven't been worked out yet.  Haven't you noticed that
most Microsoft updates are to fix problems with the Microsoft product.
When they upgrade, they sell you the new product.  It isn't a fix, it is
an expense.  When have you purchased a Microsoft product you didn't get
a patch for within a week or so, and then with regularity until the next
upgrade.

When Microsoft went from Win 98 to WinXP or whatever change they made,
they called it an upgrade.  That is what you just reported in your
email.  2 upgrades.  In Linux, the terminology is similar, except an
upgrade is not a fix, it is an improvement.  There are very few patches
to LINUX products, because they are made as close to perfect before you
get them as is possible.  It is a matter of pride.  No Junk.  When it
say upgrade, install it, it will make your system better.

Haven't you noticed you never need to defrag your Linux.  That is the
reason.  You don't need a tool you will never use.  By the way, if it
says patch, install that too, it will fix something; it is just that
that will hardly ever happen with LINUX, and it is still better for your
computer.

I have been with LINUX for about a month only and I will never go back
to Microsoft.  It would be like moving from a neighborhood where
everyone is healthy and well, then moving into a disease filled
neighborhood where everyone is always going to the doctor.  You would
have to be a masochist to do that.

Take a deep breath and relax and press install.  If you are using
Kubuntu by any chance, they have a program provided by their KDE
application called Adept Manager that will blow your mind.  About 22,000
programs are there for the taking, most of which are problem free.  Of
course there are a small amount of Beta programs, but they will tell you
they haven't removed all the bugs yet.  Nonetheless, Linux betas are
better than Microsoft upgrades.  They have fewer things to fix.

Most cordially,
Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired