id-static: final link failed : No space left on device

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sun Jul 15 04:41:59 BST 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Saturday 14 July 2007, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I plead ignorance to both questions - what other FS's and what file?
>
> What they're getting at, Nigel, is we have no idea the context of the message
> you're getting, because you didn't specify.  I think you're getting this at
> boot, because I have some vague idea that I've seen this same message, right
> at the start of booting Feisty, but I haven't actually booted in some time,
> and perhaps I misremember.
>
> In my case, if I did get this message, it was probably true.  I recently
> discovered that my / partition was, in fact, 100% full, and df was reporting
> erroneous values, something like (artificially adulterated, simulated
> example):
>
> Filesystem            Size  Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda1             9.2G  9.0G  2.0G  100% /
>
> It was showing I still had "Avail" space, but my "Use" was still at 100%, and
> attempts to create new files failed.  I have no idea why.  In my case, I
> discovered the stupid mistake I had made which had eaten up all my space, and
> chose not to worry further about this entire matter.  Nothing appears to be
> broken, and if it ain't broke....
>
> In any event, this accounting of my own tale, which I had not even planned to
> mention, is only purest wild speculation at what you might be getting at with
> those messages you posted.  Their questions about your other filesystems, and
> what link you were trying to create are all aimed at uncovering the same
> thing.  We're all taking blind potshots here.
>
> Please do enlighten us as to the context in which you receive these errors.

Yes you are right - I should have given more info - sorry.

I cannot complete a boot into my Kde desktop - it freezes trying to load all the
task bar etc.

If I boot into 'recovery mode' everything is fine until it gets to:
'Preparing restricted drivers'
then it gives the error message:
'id-static: final link failed : No space left on device'

The output of 'df -hT':
Filesystem  Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 reiserfs  2.8G  2.2G  622M  79% /
varrun	   tmpfs    94M    12K  94M    1% /var/run
varlock	   tmpfs    94M      0  94M    0% /var/lock
procbususb usbfs    94M    68K  94M    1% /proc/bus/usb
udev       tmpfs    94M      0  94M    1% /dev
devshm     tmpfs    94M    68K  94M    0% /dev/shm
lrm  	   tmpfs    94M    33M  61M    36% /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile
/dev/hda2 reiserfs  2.4G  975M 1.4G    41% /home

Once again, sorry for the lack of info - I was kind of tired and a bit frustrated
that it happened again just when I needed to get some work done.

Strange thing - I just successfully booted it now (letting it rest overnight) but
I also, before that booted into 'recovery mode' and still got the above (from 'df
-hT') but no 'id-static: final link failed : No space left on device'.
Strange very strange.........

Anyways, I think I will do a clean install of Dapper Drake as I don't want future
problems.
It would be interesting to know what the problem was and why though.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries