gtk2 fonts: still ugly

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Wed Jul 11 12:04:49 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 01:44:11 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > It _was_ on topic.  I'm saying I think you'll see the problem go away if
> > you stop overriding the calculated DPI.
>
> I don't think so.  I use calculated dpi of 87x86 dpi, and my GTK and GTK2
> fonts look like pure ass.  I really should try to fix that myself one of
> these years, which is why I started reading this thread.  Unfortunately, I
> have no suggestions, other than rewriting all the lame GTKx stuff to use QT
> or KDE instead.  Right.  Just like that GTK2 version of Rosegarden
> everybody has been asking for is going to happen.

The day we run Linux desktops in One Toolit (TM) will be the day when all
geeks agree on what the best distro this. So much for "choice is good", this
actually is no choice, I can't have VMware in Qt or Firefox for that matter.
Where's my choice?

</rant>

I rather suspect this to be a hinting thing, but I can't think of how gtk
parses fontconfig differently from KDE/Qt.
Since this screws up the looks of my desktop I think I will just go the dumb
way and file a bug report and get some people to vote for it or so.
I've been fighting font issues since day 1 when I Installed SuSE 6.0 and never
was too happy with freetype, fontconfig etc in all.

Dex

--

http://www.stop1984.com
http://www.againsttcpa.com