Booting problems with KDE ? Fixed :-)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jul 8 15:19:56 UTC 2007

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> BUT I only have a small hard drive 6GB so how can I have 'kubuntu-desktop'
> (for future dist-upgrades) without Openoffice.org?

I have a heavily loaded system and I'm only using 150MB for /, 5.5GB
for /usr and 2.1GB for /var.

Of course, I'm also using a huge amount for /home, but at install time
that's going to be pretty small.  You should be able to squeeze into 6GB if
you keep the APT cache clean (sudo aptitude clean), but you're going to be
missing a swap (pretty necessary) and any room to grow.

You might reasonably be able to keep your /home on a USB stick, these days.
A larger drive would help :-)  If you have USB2, then an external drive is
the simplest solution.
--
derek