Booting problems with KDE ?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jul 7 01:45:21 UTC 2007

Nigel Ridley wrote:

OK, to begin: "booting" and "KDE" don't belong in the same sentence...

> I just did a dist upgrade on my Feisty Toshiba laptop; rebooted to check
> everything was OK (a new kernel image was installed) - it booted normally.
> I then turned it off and after an hour turned it back on again only to
> find that it was taking ages to get to the login screen and then would
> freeze after getting to 'loading Desktop' (on that nice graphical bar
> after logging in).
>
>  From a terminal (Alt Ctrl F1) there were a couple of error messages:

> kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda3) =hda3(3,3)

The "k" in "kinit" is for "kernel", not "KDE"

> kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda3
> kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot....

Completely normal.  The boot is looking for a resume image on the swap
device - there won't be one unless you previously hibernated.

> id_static: final link failed: No space left on device

That, otoh, has nothing to do with /dev/hda3 - it _probably_ means your root
device is out of space.

--
derek