kmail losing emails... help pls!

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jul 7 01:37:43 UTC 2007

On Friday 06 July 2007, Rick wrote:

> I copied the (drag and drop) the whole app folder...
> to a back up hard drive... now you telling me that had to
> do a command line statement for doing a copy?

I probably would have too, but I think that way.  I have no idea if drag and
drop would work or not.

> I believe its something else, since some email are messing,
> and NOT all.

He's thinking file permissions and ownership issues, probably.  Try this.  Go
to a command line and:

  me=$(whoami)
  chown -R $me:$me ~/Mail
  chmod -R u+r ~/Mail

I didn't test those commands, and I'm ridiculously tired, so you might have to
play with the syntax.  The idea is to chown all the files to your user and
group, and then make sure you user has read access to all the files.

See if that doesn't clear it up.  If it doesn't, I have no idea what went
wrong, but I'd say you lost some actual messages along the way when you did
your move.
--
D. Michael McIntyre