Launch application on second Display

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Fri Jul 6 15:34:18 UTC 2007

On Friday 06 July 2007, Trevor wrote:

> I was hoping that someone would know the parameters I would need to pass
> an application when launching it to have it load on a second display.  I
> have a MythTV frontend running on my desktop which is connected to a TV
> in another room.

I don't have any kind of similar setup, but I'd start playing with kstart to
see if anything might do the trick.  I don't know how a multi-head setup
works at all, so this might be a completely useless suggestion.  I only
mention it because I figure kstart might be obscure enough that you might not
have stumbled across it, and if it's the magic ticket, then jubilation for
you.

$kstart --help
Usage: kstart [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] command

Utility to launch applications with special window properties
such as iconified, maximized, a certain virtual desktop, a special decoration
and so on.

Generic options:
  --help                    Show help about options
  --help-qt                 Show Qt specific options
  --help-kde                Show KDE specific options
  --help-all                Show all options
  --author                  Show author information
  -v, --version             Show version information
  --license                 Show license information
  --                        End of options

Arguments:
  command                   Command to execute

  --window <regexp>         A regular expression matching the window title
  --windowclass <class>     A string matching the window class (WM_CLASS
property)
                            The window class can be found out by running
                            'xprop | grep WM_CLASS' and clicking on a window
                            (use either both parts separated by a space or
only the right part).
                            NOTE: If you specify neither window title nor
window class,
                            then the very first window to appear will be
taken;
                            omitting both options is NOT recommended.
  --desktop <number>        Desktop on which to make the window appear
  --currentdesktop          Make the window appear on the desktop that was
active
                            when starting the application
  --alldesktops             Make the window appear on all desktops
  --iconify                 Iconify the window
  --maximize                Maximize the window
  --maximize-vertically     Maximize the window vertically
  --maximize-horizontally   Maximize the window horizontally
  --fullscreen              Show window fullscreen
  --type <type>             The window type: Normal, Desktop, Dock, Tool,
                            Menu, Dialog, TopMenu or Override
  --activate                Jump to the window even if it is started on a
                            different virtual desktop
  --ontop, --keepabove      Try to keep the window above other windows
  --onbottom, --keepbelow   Try to keep the window below other windows
  --skiptaskbar             The window does not get an entry in the taskbar
  --skippager               The window does not get an entry on the pager
  --tosystray               The window is sent to the system tray in Kicker

--
D. Michael McIntyre