HELP! No X on startup

Sven Richter sveri-list at gmx.de
Wed Jul 4 16:28:52 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 17:02:13 Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> On 7/4/07, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I'm no closer to answering the puzzle (and I suppose I never will
> > answer it now :-( ) but installing the current nvidia driver seems to
> > have worked.
> >
> > Now to go get some sleep.
> >
> > Thanks for encouraging me to go ahead and install the driver. I'm always
> > paranoid about doing that sort of thing, that I'll just make things worse
> > than they already are.
>
> I'm glad to hear that your problem was fixed.  Is it possible that you
> changed some setting a while ago, forgot about it, and then when you
> restarted the problem showed up?  A lot of people running GNU/Linux
> keep their computer running for long periods of time and it is easy to
> forget what changes to the system have been made between restarts.  I
> know that sometimes graphics drivers can break when the kernel is
> updated, but I think that you are required to immediately restart the
> computer after it is updated.  Perhaps it will be an eternal mystery.

Surely no mystery :-)
The failure is a typical failure for installing nvidia drivers which
require the nvidia.ko module, updating the kernel, rebooting,
and oops, theres no kernel module for the actual kernel available.
So you have to recompile the module for the actual version.
Or, better, the nvidia installer does it for you if you use the
proprietary driver from nvidia.

And that rebooting after a kernel upgrade is required doesnt
automatically mean everybody does it ;-)

Greetings
Sven Richter