Feisty problems

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Tue Jul 3 03:25:06 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007, Wulfy wrote:
> Strange.  I just tried mplayer again and now the sound is working...
> yet in KControl, the sound system is off!
>
> I'm totally confused....  :@(

The damn stupid idiotic ass KDE sound system needs to die.  They've been
talking about killing it for years, but it lives on for some unfathomable
reason.

The only thing you need the KDE sound system for is to make beeps and boops,
and to play things with badly written KDE apps that know no other way to make
sound.

I've been turning the damn thing off for years, and I've never missed it.
Some of the default KDE players don't work without it, but I just use MPlayer
for everything, and my life is less complicated.

(What I'm telling you is that you probably fixed MPlayer by disabling the KDE
sound system.  It doesn't need it, and if it's running, it can prevent
MPlayer from making any noise at all.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre