First let fix package database lock state I am after Adept quit too fast after an error

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 1 00:15:09 UTC 2007

Steven Vollom wrote:

>>> Maybe you can give more details? What was the error? What was the error
>>> message? We can't read minds, nor can we guess what happened. It would be
>>> extremely helpful if we knew even those two things.
>>>

>> Part of the problem is that adept don't report the bug given by dpkg,
>> it just say something like: Hey an error happened when installing.
>>
>> I really don't care about the specific package that made dpkg return an
>> error.
>> The only thing I care about, is Adept quiting so fast, that it kill
>> currently
>> running instance of dpkg (probably not the same that cause the error),
>> so
>> leaving a lock on package database lock.
>>
>> Well, I'd like to restart adept_update to see what was the exact message
>> but can't.
>>
>> I changed my language in System Setting/Regional language, but although
>> most
>> menus and messages are now in english (the language I choose), adept is
>> still
>> in french, so I will translate a bit.
>>
>> So we are after the bug, I did reboot.
>> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib$ ps -e|grep dpkg
>> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib$ ps -e|grep adept
>> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib$ ps -e|grep synaptic
>> I see no other programs in ps -e that would use the package database.
>>
>> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib/dpkg$ ls -l
>> total 3704
>> -rw-r----- 1 root root      0 2007-06-30 12:45 lock
>>
>> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib/dpkg$sudo rm lock
>> Now lock is gone.
>>
>> BTW: I was searching this file in /var/lock at first, which still seems
>> to me where I should have found that.
>>
>> I have Quit previously adept-updater in lower right of screen.
>> So I have to start in manually:
>> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib/dpkg$ kdesu adept_updater
>> ... wacom missing devices
>> kbuildsycoca running...
>> kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()
>>
>> then Adept appears, and then a window with:
>> Un autre processus utilise la base de données du système de paquets
>> (probablement une autre application Adept, apt-get ou aptitude).
>> Veuillez fermer cet autre programme avant d'utiliser celui-ci.
>>
>> Translation: An other process is using package database, please close
>> the other program that use the database.
>> Just an Ok button, I click it and return to konsole.
>>
>> Now if I do ls -l:
>> -rw-r----- 1 root root      0 2007-06-30 12:57 lock
>> It has come back!
>>
>> Not to sure what I am suppose to do here.
>>

> I had a similar problem and was provided the following:  (it cured the
> problem)
>
> *ps -ewf| grep adept|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'*
>
> This will list all process being used by adept, one per line.  Next you
> want a sure way to destroy these processes:
>
> *sudo kill -9 <process>
> *
> Where <process> is each process number separated by a space.  for
> example if you got two lines like these:
> [...]

The same man gave me this instruction first, however the second instruction was the one that worked for me.

He said:

When Adept did that I started a terminal session and ran sudo dpkg --configure -a. Then I ran apt-get dist-upgrade and finally apt-get -f install. After that I rebooted and everything was hunky-dory.

These were the only helps that I got, and as I said, the second instruction, the one I sent to you first, worked for me.

I hope I haven't increased your problem.  I am just trying to pass on what helped me.

Steven