KDE 3.5.6 released w Kubuntu packages (hold up there!)

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Jan 31 16:57:34 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 18:06, Scott Mazur wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:23:39 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote
>
> > No, I mean that it used to be that the rpm-based distros all used rpmfind
> > and tended to grab their rpms from anywhere, and the non-rpm, non-debian
> > distros _always_ used to work from tarballs.  Now the rpm-based
> > distros are moving more and more towards apt, and even the big all-
> > source distro, gentoo, has package management, and while I'm not
> > sure any significant distro still works from tarballs, every app
> > developer still produces them and almost all the users know what to
> > do with them.
>
> Now that sounds like a boat load of crap that could only come from someone
> who's never lived outside the debian world.
>
> First of all it's never been true that rpm-based distros all used rpmfind.
> Rpmfind is a place of last resort to 'maybe' get an application that your
> 'rpm-based' distro never provided and there was no other way to get it.  If
> you were lucky you might find an rpmfind version that was built
> specifically for your distro, and even then installing could very well lead
> into a long trip into dependency hell.

I never used Fedora, or RedHat 8 or 9.  However, I started with Red Hat 5.2,
then 6.2, then 7.1, 7.2, 7.3.  Yum didn't exist for them until the fedora
project "backported" it.  I used rpmfind.net to find what I needed and
command line rpm much like I use dpkg now, the difference being that I only
use dpkg for files not on repositories; with RH 5-7, that was my only choice
(there was a gui wrapper, like adept for apt, but I prefer the command line
when the options are decipherable and memorable).

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @