right alt key and kde

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jan 31 13:54:23 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Monday 29 January 2007 10:01 pm, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> It's certainly intentional that they should be different, otherwise it
>> would be impossible to map them to different functions.  Insisting that
>> two different keys must do the same job is so Windowsish :-)
>
> But they don't.  Left shift/Ctrl/Alt are for letters typed with the right
> hand, and right shift/Ctrl/Alt are for letters typed with the left hand.

Huh?  As I said, it's intentional that the two keys give different codes.
However, there's never (in Windows or KDE) been any predefined linkage
between left-side characters and left ctrl or alt.  Which is fortunate,
because I only ever learned to use left ctrl & alt when touch typing. By
default, the alt and ctrl characters on each side are given the same task,
but they can be reassigned, even under Windows.

> This hasn't worked correctly in ages either, come to think of it.  Oh
> well. I'm used to typing things with the wrong fingers after all this
> time, and not bored enough to endeavor to do anything about this matter.

What did you want to see?
--
derek