Plug and Pray rant

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Jan 29 21:05:53 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 13:41, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Just added a newish LCD 17" to a simple Compaq DesktopPro machine which
> is probably about 4 or 5 years old.
> Anyway, as soon as X kicked in (got to the login screen) the [LCD]
> screen pops up a message saying "Out of Range"; so I did an Ctrl Alt F1
> to get to a terminal and after logging in did the 'dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver xorg'. After answering the questions as best I could and letting
> the auto-detect stuff do their thing, I restarted the computer. It
> wouldn't load X.

I am going to guess that this is a wide screen format, and that you were
trying to use the wide screen settings.  There is an Ubuntu wiki for doing
this.  The problem is that settings that shouldn't work, work better.

I found that 1024x768 works perfectly with my 16:9 screen though it shouldn't.
A support guy at Norwood, my monitor manufacturer, told me it worked with
his.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @