KDE 3.5.6 released w Kubuntu packages

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Jan 29 20:11:40 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 12:58, Angus Prune wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Art Alexion <art.alexion at verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 29 January 2007 11:43, Angus Prune wrote:
> > > To be fair we're not talking about 5+ years, we're talking about a
> > > [windows] release less than a year ago.
> >
> > Yes, but afik, the guts haven't changed since w2k, and before that win95,
> > and before that win3.x.
>
> your square brackets are wrong, I meant [ubuntu] release.
>
> He's not trying to run new software on something 5+ years old.  He's
> trying to run new software on something less than a year old.
>
> This doesn't affect whether its something that should be supported or
> not, but it makes it a much more reasonable expectation than running
> new software on a 5+ year old system.

I agree.  I am one of the people who wants to stick to Dapper because of LTS.
I don't like doing dist-upgrades and then worrying about the things that used
to work that don't anymore.

I think "Big Apps", like FireFox and OpenOffice should be backported.  But I
understand that this is not trivial, and I understand why it is not being
done.

So, I install FF and OOo in /opt and now I have the newest versions without
lib conflicts, etc.  It is not ideal, as I can't update OOo via apt, but FF
has its own built-in updater.  Last I recall a really big security flaw in
FF, mozilla was at least 2 weeks quicker than Ubuntu to institute a fix.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @