Kubuntu useless for ripping CDs

tudza tudza at tudza.com
Mon Jan 29 01:48:39 UTC 2007

Well lets see:

I saw mention of virtual folders, making ripping and encoding a CD a
drag and drop operation.  I thought this was really cool way back when I
found out about it, until I found that I got no warning if the process
failed.  I put in a CD and drag all the .ogg files over to a folder, I
try and play them and find many do not work.

X-ripper does indeed do a better job than the tools that come ready
installed with Kubuntu.  Maybe because it comes with the cd paranoia option?

I think I have used gripper in the past, maybe under Linspire?

Still, the same CD that does not work on my Linux machine, no matter
what program I'm using, does succeed on my Windows machine.  And that
includes my previous Linux machine.  You see, since I got a new machine
to run Linux I thought I'd give CD ripping another chance.  No dice.