"Key switches keyboard layout while pressed" -- how?

Urtzi Jauregi urtzi at fmf.uni-lj.si
Thu Jan 25 11:55:43 UTC 2007

On Thursday 25 January 2007 12:34, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> You need to look at "kcontrol, "regional&accessibility", "keyboard
> shortcuts" right at the bottom, the last entry. The default combination is
> Alt+Ctrl+k but you can change to whatever you want.

	That's what I'm doing now; the problem is that in order to use a nonstandard
character, I have to a) Press the key combo to switch layouts; b) Type the
character; c) Press the keys to switch back. I find it quite bothersome. The
other option is to leave the layout as is, but that's also bothersome because
the Slovene keyboard is QWERTZ whereas the Spanish one is QWERTY, and I often
mis-type Zs and Ys.

	What I'd like is a way to have the Slovene keymap on by default, and when I
want to type, say a Ñ (whose key in a Slovene keyboard is Č), press Meta + Č
and get a Ñ (Meta being whatever special key I choose, preferently Right
CTRL). That is, that Meta switches layouts *only for the key you press it
with*.

	In GNOME this is completely straightforward and works perfectly, but not in
KDE, and I don't know why. The checkboxes are there; they just don't work.

	- Urtzi -

--
Urtzi Jauregi
Fakulteta za Matematiko in Fiziko, Univerza v Ljubljani

Tel: ++386 01 540 13 53
e-mail: urtzi at fmf.uni-lj.si