Easy Version Upgrading

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 04:24:13 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hi! I have a kubuntu dapper computer that I want to put edgy on. Is
> there any easy way to upgrade. I searched google, but I could only find
> "update-manager -c" for ubuntu, which requires that I install a lot of
> gnome libraries that I don't want. I tried manually changing the
> sources.list file on another system, but it was VERY painful. Is there
> an easy kubuntu-based way to upgrade? Thanks!

I recommend the instructions at kubuntu.org:
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/6.10-release.php

They say: # In Konqueror go to /etc/apt, right click on sources.list
and choose Actions -> Edit as Root
# Change all instances of dapper to edgy
# Launch a console with KMenu -> System -> Konsole
# In the console run: sudo apt-get update
# In the console run: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and follow the prompts
to upgrade
# In the console run: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop python-qt3
python-kde3 ubuntu-minimal and follow the prompts to install
# Reboot your computer

Worked well for me.

Michael