Swiftfox for Duo Core 2

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jan 22 00:30:32 UTC 2007

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:

> Swiftfox (firefox builds optimized for a paricular processor) are
> available for these processors:
>
>    *  Pentium 4
>    * Pentium M
>    * Pentium 3
>    * Pentium 3M
>    * Pentium 2
>    * Prescott
>    * Celeron (Willamette, Northwood, Celeron D)
>    * Celeron M
>    * Celeron (Coppermine, Tualatin)
>
> Which one should I choose if I've got an Intell Duo Core 2 proccessor?

Short answer: None of them.  You should use the stock, unmodified
version that is packaged as part of Ubuntu.

The longer answer is: what do you think you will gain from this?

>From the very, very few benchmarks available comparing Swiftfox to
Firefox it shows a small but notable improvement on an essentially
synthetic benchmark.

It also shows a performance advantage of around one or two percent in
the real world -- probably mostly due to the omission of support for
layout outside Latin1.

Is your web browser *really* a performance critical part of your day to
day experience?  Does it honestly consume enough CPU time to be worth
the bother of optimizing?

Are you sure you wouldn't gain more performance by sticking with the
stock Firefox and putting a little effort into optimizing Pango
rendering -- the most likely gain in the synthetic benchmark?

Heck, are you sure you wouldn't gain more by doing some real profiling
on Firefox and working out where it spends time working?

Finally, you /are/ aware that this will not change the performance of
the real high load applications through the web browser -- flash, video
and PDF rendering are not going to be effected by this...

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/