Firefox 2 on Dapper

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Jan 21 05:56:48 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 10:18 am, Donn wrote:

> I have been wondering about this for a while, thought I would ask.
> A friend of mine still runs Windows 95. He just installed Firefox 2.0 the
> other day and it works. No problem.

Well, after 30,000 messages of whining, I got bored and decided to install the
new Firefox on Dapper.

1) go to firefox.com and click on the "get the new version" thingie
2) unpack the tarball
3) edit the existing Kicker icon for Firefox to point to the new path
~/firefox/firefox
4) put some simlinks into ~/firefox/plugins to link to the flash player and
java

Not exactly one click installation, but I can't see anything wrong with the
new Firefox so far.

It probably just underscores why Linux is too hard for the average user
though.
--
D. Michael McIntyre