Firefox 2 on Dapper

Freddy Martinez freddymartinez9 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 04:49:31 UTC 2007

installeing things is /opt was refering to the idea of installing FX in
~/usr/bin/firefox. This is a bad idea for several reasons. One it is
installed locally and not in a system wide location. Two, installing it in
/bin may cause Fx to point to old libraries which causes headaches for
people developing Firefox on Ubuntu like the MozillaTeam Three, /opt is the
place for things like this. Reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard for more
information.

On 1/17/07, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 January 2007 9:11 pm, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
> > cornerstone of how this type of software works.  This is what distros
> are
> > all about.  Dealing with all of this stuff for yourself is a real bitch.
>
> I'll add that the scenario I outlined was probably based on trying to
> build
> Ardour five years ago, and it's probably grossly exaggerated compared with
> what you're going to find trying to fit the new Firefox or OO.o to Dapper.
>
> > I have no idea how any of this relates to the new version of
> Firefox.  It's
> > definitely not anything I can't wait for Feisty to see.
>
> And I will admit ignorance.  I thought Feisty was going to be another LTS,
> but
> I see not.  Well I'll wait for the next LTS then.  I juggled Debian Sid
> for
> years, and I'm tired of screwing around with broken toys now.  Got a
> drawer
> full of T-shirts and a cookie, and it just isn't fun anymore.
>
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Freddy Martinez
Kubuntu. GNU / Linux for human beings.