Firefox 2 on Dapper

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:47:11 UTC 2007

> The whole point of running a *stable* distribution, like Ubuntu Dapper,
> is that it includes a fixed set of applications.
I reckon if I was running Edgy (which is unstable, no?) that the versions of
software would also hit a cap when it moves out of cycle. i.e. It will be the
same as Dapper at some point in the future.

> These programs are supported by ubuntu, they receive security fixes
> (that are often backported from more recent releases), but they do not
> change during the lifetime of the distro.
But this has not really explained why new versions cannot run on it. Is it
because such huge changes happen in underlying API libraries every time? Is
it because there are not enough people to test new binaries on old distros?
Maybe a little of both?
Is Linux so unpredictable that one cannot release *backwards* ? i.e. FF 2.0
(example) for Ubuntu latest version *and* older?

> That way you know that if your computer works fine today, it'll most
> probably work fine tomorrow, even if firefox has been security updated
> 10 times.
Um. Don't know if I agree. A security flaw is a flaw. It's not that the flaw
is only potentially harmful for *that* distro.

I could be wrong - just trying to understand.

/d