Firefox 2 on Dapper

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:18:22 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I have been wondering about this for a while, thought I would ask.
A friend of mine still runs Windows 95. He just installed Firefox 2.0 the
other day and it works. No problem.

I'm here on Kubuntu Dapper and there's no FF 2.0 in the repos? Why?
I downloaded it and can run it, but it mucks-up my extensions, chokes on
plugins and crashes randomly.

I had similar issues on Fedora 3. I couldn't run FF 1.5. I couldn't run the
latest Inkscape (at the time 0.44 I think). So I had to upgrade and I went
for Kubuntu.

I feel ... rushed ... by this 6 month release cycle and also frustrated as the
repos leave me behind. Assuming they do - I assume FF2.0 is out on
Edgy/Feisty.

What is it about Linux that makes it so fragile about the "generation" of
software it can/cannot run? What am I not getting?

/d