Fresh install from alternate CD

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Tue Jan 16 14:53:03 GMT 2007

I've been putting this off for a long time, hoping to find a fix instead.
when I upgraded Breezy->Dapper, it did not go as well as Warty->Hoary or
Hoary-> Breezy.  In fact, it didn't go well at all.  I got everything fixed
but HAL which times out while daeomonizing and won't load.

This causes problems with mounting samba shares, slows down accesses to
Desktop and Documents, and makes iPod updates glacier slow.  Otherwise
everything works fine.

As you can see, this is a mature setup honed over time since Warty.  I dread
starting over again.

I know a fresh install from the Live CD will reformat my / partition, but is
there a way to install the system from the alternate CD without messing up
~, /opt, and /usr/local which are on the same partition?

I'd also like to save the installed debs as there are some installed locally
with dpkg or checkinstall.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @