OOo 2.0 removal [dapper]

Luka Renko lure at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 13 13:48:19 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13. January 2007 13:25, Donn wrote:
> After having no luck going from Dapper to Edgy, I have decided to stay on
> Dapper for a few years. It works and I like it. (The problem was mainly
> that there are no proper instructions for Kubuntu upgrading as the ones on
> the Ubuntu site all refer to an "upgrade manager" which Kubu hasn't got.)

Another good news: Feisty should get similar update manager for KDE.
More info:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-update-manager

> I will do that when the time comes.
> One point --
> Some of us (like me) live in backwards countries (like South Africa) where
> bandwidth is horrifyingly expensive and downloading MORE packages than we
> want is a problem. I don't know what the solution is, but a screen with
> tick-boxes where I could choose the packs I want from the Desktop meta
> package would be cool.

This one is tricky: this is why Ubuntu distributes CDs and we want to really
package best packages to the last byte on it.
I am not sure if Desktop CD will get any kind of selection of SW in future.

> My (uninvited) take : Keep OOO. It's becoming a standard. Koffice is really
> nice and quick, but I still used Writer to open the docs I saved in Kword
> to check that they worked! I think when Koffice hits Windows desktops,
> that's the time that OOO will have real competition!

OOo will stay default in Feisty (KOffice will be reconsidered with KDE4
release again): I have only suggested to consider making it recommended which
would allow removing it without removal of kubuntu-desktop. Similar could be
done for amarok, digikam and other "more heavy" apps that users might want to
remove.

Regards,
Luka