OOo 2.0 removal [dapper]

Kelly L. Fulks kfulks at knology.net
Fri Jan 12 20:32:27 UTC 2007

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 11:04, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>> On Friday 12 January 2007 8:46 am, Art Alexion wrote:
>>> I downloaded 2.1 from the OOo website and converted the RPMs to DEBs.  It
>>> installs in /opt and seems to run fine.  I have no use for the OOo 2.0
>>> the comes with Kubuntu Dapper.  Can I safely remove or will it break
>>> something else?  How do I tell apt-get to remove 2.0 and not 2.1?
>> Your package manager doesn't know anything about /opt, so if you uninstall
>> the distro package, that should be that.
>
> I gave it a shot and aborted.  In addition to openoffice-*
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   aspell aspell-en dictionaries-common gnome-spell kubuntu-desktop
>   mozilla-thunderbird myspell-en-gb myspell-en-us
>
> What are the chances that I can reinistall these packages without reinstalling
> OOo 2.0.2?

kubuntu-desktop is simply a meta-package that has dependencies on a
number of packages to force their installation.  You probably can't
install it without getting OOo 2.0.2, but I would guess that the others
would go back with little difficulty.  Since I am at work (forced into
the windows desktop world here for now), I can't look at the
dependencies of the other packages.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account