Kubuntu driver for HP LaserJet4+

Maynard Wright m-wright at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 6 17:08:12 UTC 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 18:16, Rodney Myers wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2007, at 9:41 AM, Maynard Wright wrote:
> > I'm resending this message with its own subject line.  I didn't
> > really mean to
> > hijack the other thread for something entirely unrelated.  Sorry.
> >
> > Maynard
> >
> > --------------------------------------
> >
> > I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 LTS on a Toshiba Satellite laptop that has no
> > parallel port.  I'm using the USB port to connect to my HP LaserJet4+
> > printer, but I don't see a driver for that printer in the downloads
> > I've
> > found in the repositories.  Is there one out there?  The hardware I
> > have
> > lashed together worked fine for printing from RedHat 8.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Maynard
> > /lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
>  From my kubuntu box the my HP laserjet 4 w/network card, I use the
> recommend foomatic driver, and it just works.
>
> So I guess you need to add the foomatic drivers?
>
> ---
> Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42 at gmail.com>
> Registered Linux User #96112
> ICQ#:     AIM#:       YAHOO:
> 18002350  mailman452  mailman42_5
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
> little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
>          Ben Franklin - 1759

I have the foomatic drivers, but something isn't working right.  I have the
following setup:

Local printer
URI: ipp://localhost:631/printers/Trout

device: hp:/par/HP_Laserjet_4_Plus?device=/dev/parport3
model: hp Laserjet 1020 Foomatic/foo2zjs(recommended)

Printing system currently in use = CUPS

I can send an OpenOffice document or a PDF file to the printer but the printed
output is garbled.  The same printer currently works fine from another laptop
running RedHat 8 via a parallel port and it used to work from the Toshiba
Satellite that's now running Kubuntu using the USB port through the same USB
hub to the parallel port of the printer when I was running RedHat 8 on the
Satellite prior to installing Kubuntu.  I didn't partition the disk when I
installed Kubuntu, but wrote over the RedHat 8 installation.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Maynard