New users - possible problems

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Fri Jan 5 23:47:33 UTC 2007

Michel wrote:

>On Friday 05 January 2007 14:12, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>

>>There has been some discussion recently about getting computer users off
>>Windows and on to Linux. I think that is a great idea. However I suggest
>>that some help and hand-holding will be required. Here are some thoughts
>>that I recently set down.
>>
>>***************************************************************************
>>*
>>
>>Setting up Kubuntu Edgy.
>>
>>There has been some chat recently about getting Windows users to migrate
>>to Linux with particular reference to Kubuntu. I have used Linux for
>>years  I installed Edgy the day that it came out and I have been pleased
>>so far. It might be interesting to look at the changes and tweaks that I
>>have made so far. My point is that as it installed out of the box so to
>>speak, it was not yet ready for me. It worked, of course, but I had to
>>do quite a bit of customisation before I was happy with it. What will
>>people new to Linux think I wonder.
>>

><snip>
>a list of linux programs that can replace windows programs
>eg. nero == k3b
>m$ office == ooo

When I was teaching 7 and 8 grade English a few years ago, I took a
couple machines built from spare
parts into my classroom, loaded with Fedora based K12Linux.
My students logged right on and wrote papers, made presentations,
researched the internet, etc.,
without even realizing they were using something new. They just thought
I´d ¨customized΅windows
until I explained the difference. They were in a school with both Macs
and PCs, so were able to
handle a little diveristy.
Of course, most people stuck in offices using computers know nothing and
aren´t as adaptable
and clever as 8th graders.

/tony

--