question on formating USB Drive in Kubuntu

Olivier Picquenot oli at aurait.eu
Fri Jan 5 13:24:27 UTC 2007

>> SO will vfat support up to 120gigs? Or is there a limit?
>>

> I think vfat (fat32) only supports up to 32GB partitions
>
> Tez

It supports muche more than 32GB, cf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
But:
"Windows 2000 and Windows XP can read and write to FAT32 filesystems of
any size, but the format program on these platforms can only create FAT32
filesystems up to 32 GB. Thompson and Thompson (2003) write[5] that
“Bizarrely, Microsoft states that this behavior is by design.” Microsoft's
knowledge base article 184006[4] indeed confirms the limitation and the by
design statement, but gives no rationale or explanation. Peter Norton's
opinion[6] is that “Microsoft has intentionally crippled the FAT32 file
system."

Regards,
Olivier