Running an old 32 bit app on AMD64

Gary Hodges fsunoles at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:33:50 UTC 2007

I have a program I'm trying to get to run on an AMD64 6.10 machine.  I
have an rpm of the program.  In the past I've successfully used alien
to install said program, but I'm not getting it done on the AMD64
machine.

If I try to install an alien created deb file (created on another
machine), it works with --force-architecture but I get this error when
I try to run it:

"error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory"

I have libncurses5 and libncurses5-dev installed .  If I try to create
a deb file with alien on the AMD64 machine I get these errors:

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libpam (soname 0, path libpam.so.0, dependency field
Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for libncurses.so.5
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libncurses (soname 5, path libncurses.so.5, dependency
field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libXext (soname 6, path libXext.so.6, dependency field
Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libX11 (soname 6, path libX11.so.6, dependency field
Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libXrender (soname 1, path libXrender.so.1, dependency
field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libSM (soname 6, path libSM.so.6, dependency field
Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libICE (soname 6, path libICE.so.6, dependency field
Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libstdc++ (soname 5, path libstdc++.so.5, dependency
field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for libncurses.so.5
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libncurses (soname 5, path libncurses.so.5, dependency
field Depends)
dh_gencontrol
dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture amd64 does not
appear in package's list (i386)
dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1

All he above packages are installed.