[Kubuntu] About Kde Integration

Nathan Eckenrode Nathan at EckenrodeHouse.net
Sun Feb 25 17:05:44 UTC 2007

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wrote:

> Juan Carlos Torres a écrit :

>> 1. Menus: Mandriva seems to prefer to put submenus in submenus...
>> creating multiple levels of menu items. While I sometimes do want to
>> categorize/arrange my K Menu in Kubuntu, I find that Mandriva's is a bit
>> too much. Kubuntu defaults to a single level menu system, most apps are
>> under the top category (Internet, Multimedia, System, etc.). Whether this
>> is messier that Mandriva is a personal preference, though, like artworks
>> and defaults. It's kind of hard to establish a "standard"...
>>

> In fact I don't really mind that menus and submenus stuff. the very
> problem I have is :
> - configuration tools are mixed with desktop software for common use
> - and those bunch of brackets that make the menu heavy.

I know you may not want to hear this but those can be turned off quite
easily. In fact, KDE is highly configurable which is part of its draw over
GNOME for me.
>> ... that and I rarely use the K Menu these days to even bother. I use
>> Katapult :)
>>
>> 2. Passwords: Mandriva's configuration tool and System Settings are two
>> diffrent beasts. Add that to the fact that Kubuntu uses sudo instead of
>> su. So you really might get different behaviors. Try to test the same
>> thing in Mandriva using KControl and check if it remembers the passwords
>> too. But it might also be due to different settings for sudo/su on the 2
>> distros.
>
> Even without considering Mandriva, just take Ubuntu as an example. There
> should be a feature like that in Kubuntu too.

There is a Kcontrol in Kubuntu, alt+F2 or Alt+Space and type "kcontrol"

>> 3. Feisty: I noticed that Adept crashed. And you might have noticed some
>> things that are broken in Feisty, too. Feisty isn't due until April, and
>> currently it is still in Alpha stage. Like I said in my other reply, it's
>> not a good measure of how Kubuntu really integrates KDE.
>
> I know feisty is in development stage so I didn't want to speak about
> that crash ( it was really unexpected :( ). But globally the feeling is
> the same on Edgy.
>
> My feeling is there is more work on Gnome in Ubuntu that on KDE in
> Kunbuntu.

This very well may be true, which means that there is more room for people
who want to help. hint hint.