System broke, Target sbin/init not found

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Feb 25 00:52:37 UTC 2007

Vayu wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> One would assume that you don't have a mounted root partition, which
>> probably means it failed fsck.  So the best bet would be to boot from the
>> live CD and run fsck on /dev/sda4.
>>
>> Before that, it's probably not a bad idea to check what the boot options
>> look like in grub - but I think that must be right or you wouldn't even
>> get to the point of looking for sbin/init.
>>
> fsck comes clean.
>
> fdisk -l shows the partition fine.
>
> For some reason I can't mount it from the live CD anymore, it says bad
> superblock, missing code page or other error.

That doesn't follow, because "bad superblock" invariably means it doesn't
pass fsck.  Use the -f option.

> I replaced the superblock with a backup, it found (and I let it fix)
> about 2 dozen errors but still no go.
>
> I can see everything with the windows ext2 driver.

Not unusual.  A partition that you have to boot from may be problematic
while you can read it just fine otherwise.  I've had two disks fail that I
was able to copy _everything_ off after I mounted them in a USB enclosure.

--
derek