Fwd: gtk2-engines-gtk-qt, wpasupplicant wont upgrade-REPOST

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Feb 25 06:29:54 GMT 2007

Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Would the list please reconsider help on this issue? The request seems
> simple and to the point to me.

I think you misunderstand: this isn't people refusing to help; people
likely genuinely feel mystified by this problem.

However:

> Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>     Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:48:12 -0800 (PST)
>     From: Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
>     Subject: gtk2-engines-gtk-qt, wpasupplicant wont upgrade
>     To: Kubuntu Users List <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
>     Adept, aptitude wont upgrade the subject packages without breaking it.
>     Adept tells me that:
>     Section: 3v1n0/kde
>     Canditate Version: 0.70-3v1ubuntu0
>     Installed Version:  0.60-1.1ubuntu7

I don't recognise the versions in this.  Notably, version
'0.70-3v1ubuntu0' is not listed in the Ubuntu package tracking system or
available as part of either Dapper or Edgy.

Also, section '3v1n0/kde' is absolutely and positively *not* a valid
section in either of Debian or Ubuntu.  It is also not used in any of
the "standard" extensions to KUbuntu released by the official team.

So, do you have any third party package repositories enable?

If so, and it seems likely that you do, you should contact the people
who have released the faulty package versions that are causing you
trouble.

When you enable a third party repository you end up with the reliability
of your system being equal to the *lower* of the levels of reliability
of the sources you use.

If you /don't/ have any third party repositories enabled, try updating
your lists of available packages to see if you can flush out the
problem.

If, as seems highly likely, that doesn't resolve the problem you might
want to investigate the possibility that your system is corrupting
data -- use memcheck86+ for 48 hours to see if RAM is faulty, for
example, and ensure you are using an 80-wire cable and at least UDMA/33
speed for your hard disks.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/