DeLorme GPS

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Feb 20 00:41:53 UTC 2007

"D. Michael McIntyre" <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> writes:
> On Monday 19 February 2007 4:36 pm, Chris wrote:
>
>> But theres no way to say, run the installer through Wine to install
>> it into linux?
>
> Pointless.  Try if you must, but don't get your hopes up.

When you say "pointless" do you mean that you actually tried this and
found that it didn't work, or do you mean "I don't imagine this will
work?"

In any case, Chris, your level of success may depend on how the GPS
device communicates with the laptop.  A serial connection, either cable
or BlueTooth, should be relatively simple to connect to Wine as a normal
serial port.  A USB serial connection may, or may not, be easy to
access.

If the original software wants to use the Windows BlueTooth stack or,
worse, a custom BT stack, you are probably going to be out of luck.

Anyhow, give it a short -- and check the Wine homepage, for others may
have had more success with this.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/