DCOP calls and cron

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Feb 18 23:43:05 UTC 2007

Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> writes:

>> From cron:

[...]

>> DISPLAY: :0.0
>> WHOAMI:  tol

[...]

> General questions :
>
> Isn't that .0 something to do with a second display? What gives?

No, it isn't.  The display specification is <server>.<screen>

So, this is the first running X server and then the first screen on that
server.  :0.1 would refer to the second logical screen on the first
server.

If you don't specify a screen then a default is assigned -- of 0. ;)

> Also, if cron runs as root (as Tez suggests) then why is $HOME not
> showing /root ? I'm guessing it's due to sudo stuff ...

That would be because it isn't running as root unless the OP
specifically requested that it do so.

The reason it shows the appropriate value for HOME is that it /is/
running as the correct user, in all likelyhood.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/