(fully) integrating firefox in KDE (howto)

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 21:55:31 UTC 2007

On Sunday 18 February 2007 10:11:19 am Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after I, for test purposes, installed the Evolution mail client here,
> firefox now handles mailto: links directly to it, instead of my preferred
> KMail.
>
> Googling around I found not only the answer this problem but many other
> thingies that will be very nice. These include support for KPDF, Kprint and
> KGet.
>
> Just thought to spread the tip:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Integrate_Firefox_with_KDE
>
> regards
> FF

Hey, I found some part of that to come up short in my firefox setup.

The "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto" string value didn't exist in my
about:config.

If you want kmail integration you may have to go to about:config and right
click in the window, and select "new" then (or ->) "String"
The next box that comes up paste in "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto" in
the second box, which will be the value put in "kmail" and then the kmail
integration will work.

I'm not sure if the latest Google Toolbar or the earlier version took that
setting out or what, but it wasn't there for me.  So, I thought I would
through this in.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.